Sixteen-year-old genius Matty Ducayn has never fit in on The Hill, an ordered place seriously lacking a sense of humor. After his school’s headmaster expels him for a small act of mischief, Matty’s future looks grim until King Hadrian comes to his rescue with a challenge: answer a question for a master’s diploma.
More than a second chance, this means freedom. Masters can choose where they work, a rarity among Regents, and the question is simple.
What was January Black?
It’s a ship. Everyone knows that. Hadrian rejects that answer, though, and Matty becomes compelled by curiosity and pride to solve the puzzle. When his search for an answer turns up long-buried state secrets, Matty’s journey becomes a collision course with a deadly royal decree. He’s been set up to fail, which forces him to choose. Run for his life with the challenge lost…or call the king’s bluff.
- Excellent Debut Novel!, January 31, 2013
- Thoughtful, exciting, and fun, January 27, 2013
- You don’t want to miss this book!!, January 26, 2013
- A quest for the meaning of liberty in a modern world, January 25, 2013
- Refreshingly intelligent and loads of fun!, January 15, 2013
- Conservative Teachers of America (4-stars).
- The LUV’NV (6-stars).
- Clean Teen Reads (5-stars)
- Katie O’Sullivan (4-stars)